Caulfield Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for May 8
- Caulfield hosts nine races on Saturday
- The track is currently rated a soft five
- Justin Darcy provides his best bets
Caulfield hosts nine races on Saturday (Getty)
Caulfield hosts an eight race program on May 8 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
Our Caulfield best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Saturday's racing is below.
Caulfield Tips for May 8
ExcelmanCaulfield NAP Of The Day - 12.30pm Emerald Hill MissionGET 11/10 HERE
New customers only. 18+ T&Cs and wagering requirements apply.
Race 1 - 11.55am Lamaro's South Melbourne Hcp Tips
6. SPINNING was very good on debut at Caulfield, almost beating a smart filly who had Blue Diamond and Golden Slipper form. She looked to go straight past the winner, but the class of the winner probably told late. She will benefit from the race day experience and prove the one to beat in the opener.
1. Generation was too good on debut at Morphettville and on that win, is one they need to run down here. Natural speed from a two-year-old is always good.
3. Lafargue has trialled up impressively although I do think race experience is more trustworthy coming into this race. Would not shock to see this colt run well though.
5. Forever And A Day just won on debut in what looks a weaker event on paper. Needs to rise to this class but has a win next to her name.
Race 2 - 12.30pm Emerald Hill Mission (bm84) Tips
10. EXCELMAN is the one ready to win in this race, a horse with a nice turn of foot when right. He ran a great second placing last start at this track in what looks a handy race on paper and now with the addition of Jamie Kah, up to a mile and a quarter from a good gate, this cements his spot as the best bet of the day.
7. Barry The Baptist has strung three placing a together, only beaten by Mahamedeis last start and almost taking out the Stawell Cup at the run prior. He is as tough as old nails.
4. Skelm placed third in a strong race here over 2400m and comes back in trip which is not necessarily a tick here. He may be out-gunned by the top two here but he is in form.
1. Portland Jimmy win the Kerang Cup two back and placed behind Vassilator at Flemington last start which is well and truly good enough form for this. He may not have the class as a horse like Excelman, but he is a good country cups horse.
Race 3 - 1.05pm Cameron Plant Memorial (bm84) Tips
5. MISS DAMITA looks a touch of value here as I do feel the favourite is well found. Her first-up record is very good with a win and three placing from five starts next to her name. She handles both good and soft tracks and although will look for a little further, she has enough tactical speed to jump and find a handy spot from a middle gate.
6. Intellective is the favourite and the one to beat, but there is just no value with the price. She probably lacked a life bit of fitness last week and was in the wrong spot on the track, but the market new and has crunched her early.
7. Ruby Skye bounced back last start at Flemington when running well behind the in-form Good And Proper. That’s good form, but she now needs to prove that she handles Caulfield.
3. Florent has class on her day but we have just not seen that for two preps now. If she finds her best, arguably she is the one to beat.
Race 4 - 1.40pm Ian Miller (bm78) Tips
9. PINTOFF is a horse who I have a lot of time for. He resumed with a tough win in a nice race last start and will only improve with the run under the belt. Jamie Kah now takes the mount and with a forward pattern of racing, she will have a straight forward ride, planting herself on the speed where she wins the majority of her races which is a big tick.
16. Teramia is the one I feel has been missed with a narrow second placing to Zorro’s Dream last start. That horse has always had a lot of talent, but just needed to strike some form which is now has. She is one that must be taken in everything in this event.
10. Platini was great behind Open Minded last start in a race that now reads very well on paper. She has a turn of foot which will see her look very ominous at the top of the straight.
4. Yulong Storm comes out of the same race last start as Platini, but was good two back here. Well over the odds and if it finds luck can run into the exotics.
Race 5 - 2.15pm Jra Hcp Tips
5. MR EXCLUSIVE was a blowout last start at $31, but once the Matt Brown horses find form in the city, they can generally hold it. His first-up run held a lot of merit to it while on his best form, he is a Stakes performer when spot on.
3. Holbein is the one they need to run down as he loves to bowl along in front. That is crucial to his chances though, he needs to be on a loose rein and allowed to run. When saved up for a sprint he is flat footed, but looks the one to beat in current form. Too short for me though.
1.All Too Huiying has been around the mark, but did disappoint a little last start behind Vassilator. Back to Caulfield and the small field looks more up his alley.
6. Liapari was brilliant first-up last prep before two unlucky outings. It has been a long time between drinks, but can find his way into the exotics.
Race 6 - 2.55pm Thomas North Hcp Tips
1. BLAZEJOWSKI must carry the big weight, but does have classes on this lot at his best. He is a gun fresh with three wins from five goes, and last prep was fifth in a Group One CF Orr, so there is no doubting he is the best horse in this race. If he is fit and ready to go, pencil his name down with a one next to his name.
7. Sam’s Image was too good first-up while he struck a strong race behind Laverrod last start. This is his right grace and is the value horse in the race.
8. Streetcar Stranger comes across from SA in good form with Jamie Kah in the saddle. With bottom weight he has to be a live chance.
6. Titan Blinders has a good first-up record but I do feel will be suited better second and third-up.
Race 7 - 3.35pm Rod Fenwick Hcp Tips
All selections come from the same race at Flemington last start.
1. HORRIFYING was stiff not to win there, laying in when he could have put the race to bed. He was by far the best run out of that race but the worry is the winning record with just one win from nine starts, although I do feel that he is in career best form.
2. Redwood Shadow was third last start and was a great late closer. The extra trip is going to be right up his alley while he also gets a 1kg weight swing on the favourite.
10. My Squeeze Louise ran fourth last start after leading the field up. Again she looks to lead and can pinch this is she gets some cheap sectionals.
6. Wisaka is the one that should appreciate the extra journey with the blinkers coming off. The win two back held a lot of merit.
Race 8 - 4.15pm Selangor Turf Club Hcp Tips
3. AGREEABLE is the class of the field, winning two back before striking a race where it was tough to run on from too far back. She is always a horse who needs luck with her get back and run on pattern, but on class, she is the winner and hopefully that carries her in this event.
2. Mozzie Monster was huge two back in the Bendigo Guineas and was only beaten by a fit and in-form horse who sits on the speed last start. She is another that gets into trouble with her race pattern but when right is exciting.
1. Real Sensation should have won at Moonee Valley two back and deserved the win at Flemington last start. She is a horse who needs to be saved for one final crack.
4. Succeed Indeed was second behind Brookspire last start which that form did not hold up in the Australasian Oaks. This is not a Group One of course, but loves to have a flashing light on her head.
Race 9 - 4.50pm Darren Gauci Hcp Tips
4. AYRTON looks to have his name written all over this race after a booming start to his career winning both starts. He looks a Group One horse in the making and has that in mind with the Stradbroke the ultimate aim. He has to win this to be any chance in that, which he should, by panels.
2. Yulong Command was brave in defeat last start after setting up a high pressure event, leaving by five lengths with 200m to go and only getting nailed on the line. Look for similar tactics.
5. Curran was the one that nailed him last start and can run well again. He has only missed the top two once in five starts.
1. Shelby Cobra is the interesting runner after a nice run first-up in a stronger race. He was an excitement machine in the spring and looks well over the odds in this final event.
What time is the first race at Caulfield?
The first race at Caulfield jumps at 11.50am with the last to be run at 4.50pm.
Who is the best bet at Caulfield?
We are siding with Excelman as the best bet at Caulfield.
How can I live stream the Caulfield races?
Check out our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Caulfield races.
Excelman and Blazejowski will run as our best bets of the day.
Miss Damita will run as our value selection.
Best Bet: Excelman To Win @110.00 at BetMGM - 11 Units
Next Best Bet: Blazejowski To Win @300.00 at Unibet - 6 Units
Value Bet: Miss Damita Each-Way @650.00 at Caesars (Sport) - 3 Units